Caring for your candles...

My candle needs caring?

As with most things, your candles also need some care. Your candle purchase will last longer and perform better with just a little bit of care and attention. Remember, it is an open flame. And anything with fire, is also a fire hazard. 

Lighting your new candle up is just the beginning. There is a right way to burn candles and with these few tips, you can enjoy your candle more and for longer too.

 

  • Start by choosing the right location. Ensure that your candle is not catching any drafts. Even a small draft can cause a flickering flame and make it burn a little faster. Always, look for a nice, even and steady flame.

  • Keep your candle away from windows. Keep away from drapes and other flammables.

 

  • Find a flat, stable and open space to set your candle on. A kitchen counter or island and a center table are some examples. Be sure there are no flammables near by.

 

  • Do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours. The hotter your jar gets, the more unsafe and unstable your candle becomes. After 4 hours, allow to cool completely before lighting it up again. If you light your jar for longer times, your jar can even explode from the heat. We are not liable for damage caused due to negligence while burning candles.

  • Do not handle or move your candle when it is hot or burning. Some of our containers are made of metal, and they obviously get very hot when lit. Please be careful. The flame may be small, but it is still fire.

  • Kids and pets are drawn to candles naturally. Make sure you keep them away from young kiddos as well as your pets.​ It is not advisable to burn candles around very young infants or in baby nurseries. 

 

  • Wax and water do not mix. If you get water inside your candles, it will not burn properly. It will splutter and the flame will go out. Allow the wax to harden, and see if you can get the moisture out with a paper towel before trying again. Be careful when using candles in the bathroom, and keep it at a safe distance.

  • Ensure that your wick is no more than a 1/4 of an inch long. Before each burn, trim the wick with a wick trimmer, scissors or tweezers. This ensures that your flame looks good and at the right height. With trimmed wicks, you get a cleaner burn and a neater looking candle.

  • When your candle burns down and there’s about a ½ inch of wax left at the bottom, it is a good time to blow it out and stop burning it. Burning it down further than that, will cause soot to form, and it will also heat up the jar. Neither of those is safe. Please put it out and light your next Phossify Candle to continue enjoying the aroma safely.

 

Keep in mind this following tip. 

Soy wax has memory. This is one of the most important things to know about burning a soy candle. The first time you burn a candle, make sure you keep it lit till the wax melts all the way to the sides of the jar or container. The melted wax is called the melt-pool. It typically takes between 1-2 hours for the right width and depth melt-pool to form. But once you allow that full melt pool to form, the candle retains it as a memory. The next time you burn your candle, it will burn all the way to the edge of the candle. If your blow out your new candle before it reaches a full melt pool, it will develop a memory to only melt to that point. The next time you light it up, the melt pool will reach the edge and then melt downwards, causing a tunneling effect. Tunneling reduces the burn time of your total candle, because a lot of wax and fragrance on the sides will remain unmelted and therefore be wasted
 

As always, if you have any further questions, please write to us at: lightmeup@phossifycandles.com

©2020 by Phossify Candles. Proudly created with Wix.com